Friday, August 15, 2008

And Now, A Word From Our Sponsor, and for Station Identification:

I'd like to thank everyone for their support and encouraging words on my chronicle of my time in Pohnpei, "It's Been Five Years." I'd especially like to thank those of you who've made editorial suggestions, comments, even criticisms. It has all been well-received and very much appreciated at my end.

Some of you may have heard that I've been asked by the Chief Justice of the Guam Supreme Court to serve as interim Public Guardian while he searches for a new one to replace a very dedicated public servant who has held the job for about eight years. It was totally unexpected, came right out of the blue. In fact, I had other plans at the time, but I welcome the opportunity to be of service, if only in a temporary capacity.

Over the last three weeks, I've been transitioning, learning about the job for the first two weeks while still working for the Superior Court. I took over officially on August 11th and have been slowly taking over the reins there while still doing other work for the Court, which will end in a couple of weeks. With the addition of a couple of outside endeavors and commitments, the last few weeks have been a bit of a blur.

The Public Guardian manages the estates and sometimes the personal affairs of incompetent persons, disabled adults and the aged who cannot or can no longer manage their own personal and financial affairs and have no one else to look out for them. For more on the Office of the Public Guardian and what it does (or what I'll be doing), see here.

So, please forgive the absence of daily posts for at least a few days, if not a bit more. I've been working around the clock at the Office of Public Guardian, working for the Court in other matters, and studying for and finally taking the Ethics part of the Guam Bar. (I've been a lawyer over 20 years, and now they're going to test me on ethics?) Don't ask me how I did. I don't have a clue, although I studied well enough for it, I'm sure. I mean, seriously, 60 multiple choice questions given to a bunch of would-be lawyers who've done nothing but train a minimum of three years (and in my case over 25) to argue both sides of a question? You mean there's really a right answer? In the meantime, I'm provisionally licensed to practice for the next two years.



While you're waiting for me to get back to it, please feel free to poke around some of my other posts, if you haven't already:



Random Thoughts:

  • It is not enough to know how to ride. You must also know how to fall. ~ Mexican Proverb

  • The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it. ~ Chinese Proverb

  • Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time. ~ Unknown

  • Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. ~ Albert Einstein

  • By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. ~ Socrates

  • Ever since I was a child I have had this instinctive urge for expansion and growth. To me, the function and duty of a quality human being is the sincere and honest development of one's potential. ~ Bruce Lee


See you soon. ~ Rob

RLC

No comments: