Saturday, May 31, 2008

04-06-08 ~ SPIRITUALITY, NOT RELIGION

Today, I rented the video "Conversations with God," the movie, based on the writing of the book "Conversations with God, an uncommon dialog," by Neale Donald Walsch. I've had the book on my shelves for some time, but never took the time to read it at length. I thought maybe the video would inspire me to pick up the book again. The movie was OK; I can't recommend the book, only becaues I haven't read it in its entirety; but I can say it was highly recommended to me by people whose spirituality impresses me, and when I flip through it, I like what I read.

Here's a passage from the book, picked entirely at random (God speaking in italics):

A thing is only right or wrong because you say it is. A thing is not right or wrong instrinsically.

It isn't?

"Rightness or "wrongness" is not an intrinsic condition, it is a subjective judgment in a personal value system. By your subjective judgments do you create your Self--by your personal values do you determine and demonstrate Who You Are.

The world exists exactly as it is so that you may make these judgments. If the world existed in perfect condition, your life process of Self creation would be terminated. It would end. A lawyer's career would end tomorrow were there no more litigation. A doctor's career would end tomorrow were there no more illness. A philosopher's career would end tomorrow were there no more questions.

It got me thinking about a little piece on spirituality I came across on the Net about six months ago, that at this moment in my life, I feel I can really identify with. Here it is:

Twelve Signs of Spiritual Awakening

1. An increased tendency to let things happen rather than make them
happen.
2. Frequent attacks of smiling.
3. Feelings of being connected with others and nature.
4. Frequent overwhelming episodes of appreciation.
5. A tendency to think and act spontaneously rather than from fears
based on experience.
6. An unmistakable ability to enjoy each moment.
7. A loss of ability to worry.
8. A loss of interest in conflict.
9. A loss of interest in interpreting the actions of others.
10. A loss of interest in judging others.
11. A loss of interest in judging self.
12. Gaining the ability to love without expecting anything in return.

Source ~ Unknown

There's another version of the "Twelve Signs of Spiritual Awakening," written by Geoffrey Hoppe and Tobias which is a lot heavier, but worth examining.

There is, I am learning, a lot to be said for prayer and meditation. Meditation, I have learned, is about learning to listen. Prayer, I am told but had never done until recently, isn't about asking for tangible things, but about asking to be shown the way, whatever that way may be. I never used to pray, I was never really taught how. But I do now, in my own way.

Twelve-step groups, like Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, and all the other Anonymouses (Anonymi?), including Al-Anon, Narc-Anon, etc., place a tremendous amount of stock in differentiating between spirituality and religion. I've heard it said that "religion is for those seeking to avoid going to hell; spirtuality is for those who've been there." For myself, I am, and have never been religious; but I always felt I was spiritual. Or I thought I was. Whatever I thought that meant at the time, so long as it didn't mean subscribing to any particular faith, sect or denomination. But not believing in organized religion isn't the same thing as being spirtual. Spirituality actually takes work, practice, daily maintenance.

There are a number of 12-Step Prayers I've come in contact with in the last few years through friends who are in various recovery programs that are worth checking out. Although directed to people with problems of addiction, the prayers are in fact universal, and all one needs to do is substitute whatever is most troubling them in their life for the references to drugs and alcohol. (Some of the most spiritual people I know are people who are recovering from drugs and alcohol or other addictive behaviors.)

And if you've got a thing about the word "God," then try substituting "higher power" or whatever floats your boat as long as it recognizes that there is more to this life and what goes on in it than is dreamt of in your philosophy. Because one of our biggest problems in the spiritual malaise that has always been with us is the idea that we, ourselves, are omnipotent and don't need anyone else. We're not. And we're not supposed to be. And we do. And frankly, that's quite a load off, when you think about it.

No comments: