Monday, August 11, 2008

Tuesday, September 9, 2003 ~ Pohnpei


Beginning with my June 2008 post "It's Been Five Years," the following is the continuing story of my travels from the United States into Micronesia ~ Pohnpei, Guam and Saipan ~ and my life since June 2003.



Tuesday, September 9, 2003 ~ Pohnpei

Paul is leaving at the end of the week. Such a shame what the Chuukese delegation did to him, all because he authorized investigation and prosecution of corruption in Chuuk. Such a kick in the guts. He really could've been good for this country, but now it's headed toward chaos. Monday was like a funeral in the office, but without Sakau en Pohnpei or alcohol. I think we all just didn't allow ourselves to think about it over the weekend, and as result mine was very, very pleasant.

I'm about to go down and get something to eat and be with him, and whoever else is there. When my phone rang, I thought it was going to be Lynn, not thinking anyone else would call. I answered with "meht-med-eh-wai-ya?" which translates to "are you thinking of me?," a little joke Lynn and I have from something the secretaries taught me, which was longer, and translated to "Did you sleep last night, or were you thinking of me?" It turned out the caller was Peter, my friend, who's already at Paul's.

Lynn and I spent more nights together the last four days than we probably should have, so she's not with me tonight, and probably won't be for the next couple of nights. Another joke we have is when I pass over a certain bridge, I used to mock-cry out "boat," beause I wanted a boat to be on the river. The Pohnpein for "boat" is "poorch" (sp?). So, now, when we cross the bridge, she says "poorch." Paul and I were going to buy a boat together when my house sold, and tie it up at his place, which is just down the road. It would have been perfect. Can't think of anyone else I'd want to do that with, so it may be a while.

Getting used to uncertainty and disappointment in expectations is life here. Adjust or leave. Welcome to Micronesia.


No comments: