Thursday, August 14, 2008

Tuesday, September 16, 2003 ~ Pohnpei


Beginning with my June 2008 post "It's Been Five Years," the following is the continuing story of my travels from the United States into Micronesia ~ Pohnpei, Guam and Saipan ~ and my life since June 2003.



Tuesday, September 16, 2003 ~ Pohnpei

One of my nieces is terribly allergic to animal dander. So, my sister tells me she is thinking about getting a Vietnamese pot-bellied pig as a pet and I told Lynn about it. Lynn says, a pig as a pet?! She thinks it's a cute idea, albeit a bit risky, as someone is likely to assume it's for dinner. (I still haven't had dog yet, but I'm not sure I'll ever look at them the same way again.) Lynn has asked me to buy her a couple of small pigs to raise, a couple of dollars a pound. Assuming it must be one or the other, Lynn asks if my sister, who lives in Texas, lives on a farm or a ranch. I told her neither. She seemed disappointed.

Lynn's female cousin caught a mangrove crab, a small one, and gave it to us. Johnny, Lynn's brother, caught lobsters (spear fishing at night) for us, but we forgot to pick them up, and she suspects he's mad about it, though he'd never say anything.

I have to go to Chuuk Saturday, for a hearing on Monday. The flights are only three days a week. So, I go Saturday, for a half hour hearing on Monday, and don't return until Wednesday. Lynn and I haven't been away from each other that long. I'm not afraid to go to Chuuk, despite what I've said before about getting killed out there. It's not a matter of false bravado. I'm taking a very different approach with these cases ~ more gentle, respectful, deferential to local custom and tradition. I'm also going with an investigator, and will use the time to good use interviewing witnesses.

My colleague, Anthony, still talks about and is actively seeking other employment. It's mainly here in the Pacific realm that he's looking. He's ten years older than me. I really wish he wouldn't be working on finding work elsewhere. I really enjoy our working relationship. His wife was in a serious car accident some few years ago, and drinks beer (behru) from morn till night, and is, not to be too technical, wacko, but they're a good combination, and fun to be with when she's not had too much to drink. The other mehn why litigator in the office is a bit of a psychopath. He's all hyped about public corruption cases. He's actually onto something, but he's a loose cannon, out of control. There's a crazy glint in his eyes sometimes....


No comments: