Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Saturday, September 20, 2003 (continued) ~ Pohnpei


Beginning with my June 2008 post "It's Been Five Years," the following is the continuing story of my travels from the United States into Micronesia ~ Pohnpei, Guam and Saipan ~ and my life since June 2003.



Saturday, September 20, 2003 (continued) ~ Pohnpei

Lynn and her two and four year olds are over this weekend, plus an 11 yr. old and 14 yr. old to be nannies/sitters/watchers. The four of them started out last night going to sleep with the two youngest on the futon in the living room, the 11 and 14 yr. old on the floor next to it. I got up this a.m., and the 2 yr. old was on the floor, the 4 yr. old the only one on the futon. They're all still sleeping. Perfectly comfortable. I'll be making a big breakfast.

It grounds me somehow, having people in the house like this. Weekends like this. Anyway, it's nice, pleasant. And for some reason, I like having people around me talking in a language I don't understand. It lets me be with my own thoughts. At the same time, more and more, I pick up a word or phrase or two, here and there, and I'm almost subliminally picking up the language. Lynn is quietly impressed how I pick up what's going on in a conversation, but it's really more guesswork from context than actually knowing what's being said.

And it doesn't feel like a houseful, though it should. So peaceful. Couldn't be more pleasant.

I was reading a paper from Guam. Most "news" I get from the Internet, but it's nice to read it in paper form occassionally.

I downloaded a free demo typing-tutor program for Lynn. She used to be jealous of me spending time on the computer. Now, I can't keep her away from it.

I won a motion in a criminal case in Chuuk that I expected to lose. It was a motion to dismiss the defense filed based on the statute of limitations. I was sure I'd lose it, but won it. I'll probably be going out to Chuuk the second week of October to interview witnesses for trials involving this guy. May try and get in a dive.


No comments: