Thursday, August 7, 2008

Friday, September 5, 2003 (continued) ~ Pohnpei


Beginning with my June 2008 post "It's Been Five Years," the following is the continuing story of my travels from the United States into Micronesia ~ Pohnpei, Guam and Saipan ~ and my life since June 2003.



Friday, September 5, 2003 (continued) ~ Pohnpei

The secretaries and many local officials are very bummed that Paul wasn't confirmed. He's in the anger phase of the grieving process right now, if I judge right, and rightly so. The other guy I like working with, Anthony, is actively looking for another job, which leaves the guy who made all the problems to start with as the only other litigator in the office besides me, in addition to three and 1/2 on the law/advisory side. The "acting" AG's appointment ends Nov. 11, and he doesn't want to be the AG anyway. He's from Kosrae, as is another on the law/advisory side. He's supposed to take vacation from then through the end of December, and Anthony is supposed to be off from December through halfway into January. I think the office is soon to be in complete disarray.

The secretaries think I'm learning the language really fast, and are working on me to learn not just words, but phrases, a good next step. Me, I don't think I'm learning that fast, as I have so much to learn ~ new substantive and procedural areas of the law, names of people I interact with. But with the four of them and Lynn, I'm working on it. I try and learn a couple of new names a day, read and absorb as much new law as I can, and learn to speak Pohnpein a word, a phrase or two every few days to add to my vocabulary. I still haven't been to Sokeh's Rock, or Nan Madol, but maybe by the time my family arrives for a visit, I'll be a pretty decent tour guide.

No comments: