Saturday, August 23, 2008

Wednesday, September 17, 2003 ~ Pohnpei


Beginning with my June 2008 post "It's Been Five Years," the following is the continuing story of my travels from the United States into Micronesia ~ Pohnpei, Guam and Saipan ~ and my life since June 2003.



Wednesday, September 17, 2003 ~ Pohnpei

The people here have a deceptive friendliness, not always sure how sincere it is, but I think I'm beginning to learn some nuances.

The weather does change here, I'm told. Some times of the year rainier than others. But not much in terms of temperature. It rains at various parts of the day almost every day. Especially in more mountainous areas, where the mountains catch the clouds. Average temperature and humidity are in the mid-80's.

I can't look at all the children here, and not think about my nieces. I think they'd love it here, and would make good friends. (Of course, I wouldn't school them here, an entire different subject.)

Lynn has been good for me. Me for her, too, she tells me. And me, for her family. And many of them to me, brothers and uncles especially. But there are petty elements in her family, "aunties" mainly, that are just too petty, or jealous, that make it hard on her, as much time as we spend together, which is never enough. They rag her about neglecting her children, which actually isn't true. Her children are happy, healthy, cared for; she knows what's she's doing. They don't acknowledge the efforts I'm making to contribute, though it's not my responsibility. But at the same time, I have to do things my way, to maintain and establish boundaries. I'm not going to be sucked into being a husband, and father to her kids, but I am providing. It's hard on Lynn. She can't tell her aunties to back off and leave her alone as we would. Not the culture here. Too disrespectful in the familial hierarchy. I suspect the mehn why here think I've gone off the deep end with her. And perhaps I have, maybe so. But Lynn and I have a real connection that I haven't felt in years, and years.


No comments: