Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Wednesday/Thursday, August 6/7, 2003 ~ Pohnpei


Beginning with my June 2008 post "It's Been Five Years," the following is the continuing story of my travels from the United States into Micronesia ~ Pohnpei, Guam and Saipan ~ and my life since June 2003.



Wednesday, August 6, 2003 ~ Pohnpei

Yes. Much melancholia here. And extremes of every other emotion you can name. Welcome to Pohnpei.

Lynn and I are back together at the moment. I don't know what freaked her out. But it doesn't take much out here to get one to change one's thoughts 180 degrees. Welcome to Pohnpei.

The idea and practice of extended family here is so strong, they think nothing of leaving a child with an aunt or auntie (great aunt) or grandmother. It's just done. Something someone who come from a small nuclear family is totally unfamiliar with. Very convenient for me, but I don't know what it'll be like when we're permitted to get closer, in the open, and the children enter the picture.

I bought a tuna at the fish market today. The charcoal on the hibatchi wouldn't light. Too damp. Couldn't find lighter fluid. Lynn made sashimi, and I cooked half the tuna in the oven. 450 degrees for half an hour, marinated in onion, soy, pepper and some green onion-ish/spinach-ish type vegetable. Turned out pretty good. A little over-cooked maybe, but not bad for my first time. I gutted it, but Lynn fileted it.

We're talking. It's hard in many ways. Not the idyllic island life I shared in the beginning. In truth, the same universal issues between men and women you find anywhere. Because no matter where you go, there you are. Anyway, we're working on them. Welcome to Pohnpei.



Thursday, August 7, 2003 ~ Pohnpei

What to say about today? "Se-se." (I don't know.) I think my watch has been stolen. Can't find it. A lot of cash out of my wallet too. I spent a lot this weekend, buying supplies and treating the four of us, but not that much. I think it was Lynn's friend, Reveline. I don't think Peter would do that to me. Nor Lynn. But I really don't know what to think at the moment. I don't want to accuse anyone, but .... I'm still a bit freaked out about what's going on between Lynn and me. Am I being used? Am I using her?

I came home intending to be alone tonight, but Lynn called and wants to see me. "Se-se."

A good day at work, but not terribly productive, I don't think. I'm working on such a diversity of issues. I got handed a tax case yesterday where I think the other side is right and we're wrong. I may be able to settle it. The cases in Chuuk (Truk) are really messed up. Same lawyer on both cases. An American, very thorough, and creative. He writes much too much though. There's no real law here on a lot of issues, no serious precedent, so everything's open to shoot from the hip on. A very odd thing for me, but I'm getting used to it. I'm worried it'll make me sloppy when I return.

I think I've shared about sitting in on an FSM Congressional Committee hearing for the public to solicit input on a Bankruptcy bill, and another bill to create incentives for people to reinvest here. Imagine: a place with no bankruptcy law in place. The first was 16 or 18 pages double-spaced, but not too bad. The "incentives" bill was more for discussion purposes, but it really made local merchants angry. And for good reason, the way I read it.

They are a deceptive and dis-trustful people, hiding their mistrust behind their smile. I hate that I may have to put emotional walls back up to protect myself from being deceived. But, the more simple things seem, the more complicated they really are. "Se-se."


No comments: