Friday, July 25, 2008

Thursday, August 21, 2003 (continued) ~ Pohnpei


Beginning with my June 2008 post "It's Been Five Years," the following is the continuing story of my travels from the United States into Micronesia ~ Pohnpei, Guam and Saipan ~ and my life since June 2003.



Thursday, August 21, 2003 (continued) ~ Pohnpei

The "Naniken" of the municipality of U, which is where I live, in the village of Awak Pah (lower Awak) was in the office today, and I missed meeting him. He wanted to meet me. I did too. Good to show your respect to your Naniken, eh? There are two traditional lines of hereditary titles. The two highest in western terms are the N'marki and the Naniken (both ph). They're sort of equal titles in terms of rank, but have different authority. The first is more like a king you pay respect to with the first ripe fruits from the lands you're given to farm; the second more like a prime minister, settling land disputes and other matters. Haven't gotten a very in-depth understanding of that yet, but am working on it. It's important. Because I think some sad damage has been done here by forcing western and Japanese ways on these people.

The Germans, the Japanese, the Americans, all foisted their own way of thinking about such matters on these people, and it's rather messed them up. They're trying to get back to traditional ways ~ it's in their Constitution that such things are to be considered ~ but it's not easy in the days of TV, cell phone, airplanes, and Internet. It's too late. It's a shame. There's much the world could learn about the way things are done here. And this is just Pohnpei I'm talking about. The other states ~ Kosrae, Chuuk, Yap ~ are all different. All have different traditions and expectations. I'm focusing on learning about Pohnpei, because it's where I live. But, because of that's where the caseload comes from, I need to learn the Chuukese ways too.

Lynn's kids have been sick. Cold or flu, or something. I haven't seen them recently, and I didn't see Lynn for a couple of days, because of it, but I saw her last night briefly. So nice to be with her. We talk, we laugh, we touch, we love.

I woke up with a scratchy throat.

I'm going out to drop in on a meeting of the "Mehn Why Band." Ex-pats who are in a little music band. I may get an invite to jam with them. Otherwise, it's a place to grab some sashimi and tempura. I had sashimi and parrot fish for lunch, and rice and macaroni (no fresh food shipments for another couple of weeks, in terms of vegetables). When I was a kid living on Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands, we were told we can't eat fish that eats coral, but parrot fish is the tastiest I've had here, except for one I don't know what it is that I had last Saturday from the grill ~ gray, with skin as tough as rhinocerous hide, but when cooked to done, it peels right off.


No comments: