Saturday, July 26, 2008

Friday, August 22, 2003 ~ Pohnpei


Beginning with my June 2008 post "It's Been Five Years," the following is the continuing story of my travels from the United States into Micronesia ~ Pohnpei, Guam and Saipan ~ and my life since June 2003.



Friday, August 22, 2003 ~ Pohnpei

I love the weekends.

Just chillin' and enjoying the island.

Ants are something I'm learning to accept, although I go after them from time to time. They don't bite. The ants are incredible. Leave something sweet on the table for ten minutes and they're right there. At the office, I'm always moving drinks around so they don't scent it.

There are freshwater eels on Pohnpei. Cool. I love unagi. But the locals don't eat them. Some think they're dirty and muddy tasting, but there's another story: Some families here believe that these eels are part of their clan. They're totems, worshipped in a way, some kind of ancestral or family connection. There are stories that when people die, the eels come up to the surface and mourn, and something about them climbing trees or something in their mourning. At the river, I was sitting on a rock and one came up to the surface and was eyeing me. I thought it was neat. Lynn didn't.

I didn't lose the machete'. Turns out Lynn, Peter and I totally forgot I left it with her uncle who owns a beach area, sakau bar and little shop, and we all just totally forgot. The CRS (can't remember shit) syndrome is very common here, though less and less so with me than it was in the beginning. The machete' was embarrassingly dull, and he said he knew a guy who'd get it sharp for me. I like him. He was a real hell-raiser as a kid, but he's in his mid/late forties now. We talk and he asks for my legal advice about this land dispute he has in court with a cousin of his. I think he's going to lose the case, but I think he's been screwed by his cousin and his lawyer.

Anyway, I was planning on visiting him this weekend, as I enjoy his company and conversation, and just wanted to visit. He was on the road behind me today when I went to lunch and flashed his lights to flag me down, and told me about having my machete'. So, I'll go visit him this weekend. I need to take him something in thanks, and respect, and friendship, but I'm not sure what. Bringing sakau to a sakau bar owner is like bringing ice to eskimos. Lynn will know what to bring. I don't know if I mentioned that the last time we visited we were having a really nice time and he grilled some fish for us, that was very, very good.



Boy, I eat a lot of fish. I have very little interest in red meat. Chicken and pork chops are OK. The hamburger is over-cooked, which is probably a good idea, but no real nutrient value. I did have an Australian steak once, that was decent. And my boss made some lamb from Australia or New Zealand that was very good. I wish there were alternatives to the white rice, cabbage, carrots, potatoes, eggs ~ starches and bad cholesterol stuff. There are no fresh vegetables besides those kinds of staples on the island right now. The ship(s) don't come in for another couple of weeks, and local grocers don't know how to order. I did buy some yellow corn the other day. I almost didn't, until I saw someone load up with about six bags full, and realized that I better buy it when I see it, so I bought a bag and it's in the freezer, along with a DiGiorno pizza and some tasteless strawberry ice cream.

Peter and I went to have lunch at "WalMart." (There appear to be no enforceable trademark laws around here.) So, I'm eating and I hear this voice that says, "so how's lunch?" or something like that. It was Lynn, who'd been sent on an errand to buy something by her mother. It was nice to see her. She couldn't stay long. Peter, the 26 yr. old college intern at the office that is one of my best local friends, is a "player," never been with a woman longer than three months, afraid of commitment. Yesterday he was playing hooky from the office and called me around 4:30 p.m. to come to his place. He had two college age girls with him, and wanted me to come party. I didn't want to, as I'm very happy with Lynn, and have no interest in getting that "local," although I'm sure it would have been fun. Not my style.


No comments: