Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Saturday, July 26, 2003 ~ Pohnpei


Beginning with my June 2008 post "It's Been Five Years," the following is the continuing story of my travels from the United States into Micronesia ~ Pohnpei, Guam and Saipan ~ and my life since June 2003.



Saturday, July 26, 2003 ~ Pohnpei

I'm alone tonight, which wasn't intended originally, then was (by me), then wasn't.... Micronesia, or Pohnpei ....

Lynn's baby was sick. She wasn't really, but the babysitter, her cousin, was freaked by the baby's fever. Or so she said. The cousin has kids of her own, and should know better, says Lynn.


There's tremendous pressure in Lynn's extended family's community about her seeing a mehn why (ph) which is like "haole," but I'm not sure still how perjoritive it is. I only use the term with people who won't think I'm offended by it. I haven't met a single family member of Lynn's yet. To do so is, she says, a sign that we're engaged. Or a sign of disrespect otherwise. They don't have a "dating/boyfriend" concept the way we do.

All or none. It's a major issue of sadness for us. Not between Lynn and me, but between her and her family and the sadness that kind of conflict causes. Lynn says she wants to be with me but is under great pressure at her family place about what she's doing. Hard to put into words, but fascinating as a cultural difference thing. I'm not sure she could survive in the States without constant access to people who speak her language and share her family oriented culture. I try to put no pressure on her whatsover. It's all about what she wants to do. I'm not here for that. So, bottom line: two people attracted to each other, that have emotional difficulties, from extraneous crap.

But I'll say this: I never got close to being comfortable long-term here until I hooked up with her. And watching what she takes for granted has taught me tons of loads. What she sees in me, I'm not sure, but I'm trying to keep an eye out.

Most interesting days at work recently. The cases I've been assigned to with highest priority involve the mayor of Udot on Chuuk (Truk). There's not an insignificant possibility I may get killed working on them. Chuuk is a lawless place, and we're going after the mayor for many different kinds of violations. I have no false bravado here, so there is no need to fear that I'll be stupid in this regard.

I'll be involved in prosecuting violations of the laws of the sea and territorial waters. Fisherman from elsewhere (Japan, Taiwan, China) that fish within our territorial waters. The Australians help us with tracking them, and that stuff is fascinating. I would never have thought so, until I went to meet with them and watched them tracking a violating ship via satellite and radio.

I went to an FSM Congressional committee hearing today talking about two bills that I didn't get to review until I was in the meeting (wearing sandalls and a T-shirt, as was everyone else). One was an economic incentive idea about getting to people who profit here at certain levels but put their investments overseas. Actually a bad tax plan, poorly exectued. The other was an 18 page bill designed to create a bankruptrcy system here for the first time ever. An 18 page bankruptcy law. What a concept. And I actually had some valid comments and suggestions about the latter bill despite the fact that I haven't done that kind of work in nearly 20 years.

Lynn makes me really happy, just talking with her.

Debby, my ex-, suggests I could be being fooled, and warns me about a number of things about third world country women from extended families. Ascribing no ill-motives to Debby in saying so, I don't feel it's true with respect to Lynn in this culture, or to myself. I guess we'll see. I got an email from my sister warning me about third world women, and STDs, and extended families looking for ways to farm off their daugthers, and pregnancies, condoms, etc. Much of what she's said is true. Some, as applied to me, is not. I'm aware of it all. So, no advice on those subjects please. Not to say I won't screw up, but please.

The more I think about it, the more I want stuff from what I left of my household goods in Montgomery. But at this point I need to see what happens when I have a chance to talk to the AG on the subject of my staying or going when he returns from D.C. tomorrow. It could be that they'll re-authorize a house shipment. Could be otherwise. 'Won't know 'till next week.

My comfortability with driving has improved, day and night. Learning the roads and the curves, and where there's a likelihood of women, children, dogs, chickens, etc. on the edge of the road as I drive those winding curves.

No matter how beautiful it is here during the day, I love the nights. It seems to rain more and cool it. I love the rain here. A travel book on Micronesia says this island's mountains "grabs the rain from the clouds," which I'm not sure is metaphor or just good writing, but I couldn't describe it better.


No comments: