Thursday, September 11, 2008

Wednesday, October 15, 2003 ~ Pohnpei


Beginning with my June 2008 post "It's Been Five Years," the following is the continuing story of my travels from the United States into Micronesia ~ Pohnpei, Guam and Saipan ~ and my life since June 2003.



Wednesday, October 15, 2003 ~ Pohnpei

My mother writes to remind me that you can't fool around with cuts in a tropical clime. I know about cuts, and the need to vigorously clean out any possibility of infection from living on Kwaj in the Marshall Islands, which is a coral atoll. There, of course, the problem was coral infection. Here, it's a matter of tropical bacteria. Anyway, I am improving daily.

My mother asks with a name like Isaac if the doctor is Jewish. Somehow I doubt it. Lynn thinks he's half Filipino, half Pohnpein. I don't know what his credentials are, but the mehn why here swear by him, and I was impressed enough with how they treated me. Certainly so, after having seen the inside of their public hospital when we went to visit Lynn's uncle's wife. Medical care is free here, but there aren't enough qualified doctors and nurses, and they never have medicine at the public hospital.


No comments: