Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Tuesday, October 14, 2003 ~ Pohnpei

Tuesday, October 14, 2003 ~ Pohnpei

Beginning with my June 2008 post "It's Been Five Years," the following is the continuing story of my travels from the United States into Micronesia ~ Pohnpei, Guam and Saipan ~ and my life since June 2003.



Tuesday, October 14, 2003 ~ Pohnpei

So, I went to the doctor yesterday. Recommended as the best on island. Private, not the public hospital. He's good. Bryan Isaac. Not sure of his nationality.

I described my symptoms from Thurs. night/Fri. a.m. through Monday to him. The flu-like symptoms seem to be dissipating recently, but the pain and aggravation in the leg was getting worse. If I was prone and got up, I couldn't walk until I stood on the leg for a minute, then I was fine. I was beginning to see inflamation, and possibly red spikes moving upward. Worried about blood poisoning. Started treating myself on oral and topical anti-biotics last night that I brought from the States, and already seemed better today.

Anyway, he said the flu-like symptoms were a direct result of a bacterial and perhaps streptoccal infection from the leg injury which I got when I dropped the washer or dryer on my leg on Thursday helping move it into the storage area for it. Strange to me, as there was no bleeding. I asked if I would react that fast ~ the same night ~ and that it would last that long ~ four/five days? He said yes, no question.

Hey took a blood sample, gave me a shot in the hip of something strong antibacterial to get me started, and gave me a 10-day prescription of something less strong than what I brought from the states. He said I should save that for real emergencies.

He told me to keep my leg elevated and heated. The pain is from the bruising blood pooling and when I move it has to find new places to go, and is in the way of where the joints and ligaments need to go. I suspected that, as I've seen that from martial arts injuries I've had. It's actually easier to be able to walk if I keep my leg from knee down vertical, so I may disregard that part, at least during that day. Heating it makes sense, and I'd thought of that, as it circulates the blood and moves the blood around and will help dissipate the pooled bruised blood.

Total cost for the visit, thanks to local insurance I subscribed to: $6.10.

Saturday night Lynn made me some home-made chicken soup, with onions, and cabbage, and (too much) garlic, salt and pepper. Quite good, though I could only eat a few drops. Nothing like chicken soup, the universal remedy for what ails you. (Funny, Lynn doesn't look Jewish.) Probably helped get started me on the mend.

Anyway, I'm on the mend. I don't think I mind being messed up as long as I know what it is. Then you know what to do to fix it. 'Glad I've found the doctor and am now informed. I feel much better already just knowing.


No comments: