Monday, September 1, 2008

Saturday, October 11, 2003 ~ Pohnpei


Beginning with my June 2008 post "It's Been Five Years," the following is the continuing story of my travels from the United States into Micronesia ~ Pohnpei, Guam and Saipan ~ and my life since June 2003.



Saturday, October 11, 2003 ~ Pohnpei

Whatever I had, I don't think it was food poisoning. Blood poisoning, from my own blood, maybe. I bruised my shin very badly moving the washer and dryer on Thurs. (I keep hitting the same spot on my shin, but this was a whopper.) I'm beginning to see blood bruising below the injury and above the ankle, circling that whole part of the leg. That's what I suspect it is. And just when I think I'll be OK, I wake up sweating. But if I cover myself, I get better. And there are some weird flu bugs around here. I've definitely not felt like this in a long, long time, if ever.

My sister asks if they have real doctors here. Yes, they have real doctors here. A public hospital I wouldn't go to, but there is a private doctor all the mehn why swear by here.

Lynn was totally great taking care of me. And she was very scared, especially Thursday night/Friday morning, when it started. Very worried, tried to get me to the hospital, but I didn't want to go to the public hospital, and didn't know who the private doctor was to go to, and thought it would pass by the next day.

I was reading the Montgomery Advertiser online an hour ago. The lead story was about the robbery murder of a 75 yr. old retired University of Alabama in Huntsville art professor. UAH is my undergraduate alma mater. I knew him. Not from UAH. He was a member of the board of directors of the ACLU, so I knew him from board meetings and ACLU functions. Sweet guy. I feel so sorry for the ACLU people I know who knew him. It must be hell for them. Two suspects have been arrested.

In other Alabama news I read the names of people I know (and have advised or represented) being considered for layoffs because the state's budget is so bad, because they refuse to raise property taxes (practically non-existent to begin with due to timber and corporate interests). That state is a real mess. And the most important thing on its mind doesn't appear to be making sure children are fed and properly educated, but ramming the ten commandments down their throats. And people wonder why I wanted to leave.


No comments: